A racy Anya Marina video, with her cover of Whatever You Like. For you Weeds fans out there, recognize any of the customers to this sex toy store?
October 2009 Archives
- Some People - Goldfrapp (Seventh Tree 2008)
Here Comes The Sun - The Beatles (Abbey Road 1969)
Jesse The Goat - Joker's Daughter (The Last Laugh 2009)
Sweet Perfume - Les Sampou (Sweet Perfume 1999)
Moon & Stars - Jeff & Mycha Danna (A Celtic Romance: The Legend of Lladain and Curithur 1998)
Generator ^ Second Floor - Freelance Whales (Weathervanes 2009)
Another nice mix, going clear from the 60s to an as yet unreleased CD. We start off with a great followup CD from Goldfrapp, as I loved their Supernature CD. The Beatles is an old CD, not from the new pressings. The Mono box set is high on my wishlist. Joker's Daughter is a combo effort of a Greek folksinger and producer extraordinaire Danger Mouse. Some really unique sounds. Then we follow up with one of my favorite musical genres, swing; this collection is an excellent one. Les Sampou is a local folk / pop singer who does some really nice stuff. Of course, Bruce. Mycha Danna did the brilliant soundtrack for The Sweet Hereater, a DVD I bought before I even had a DVD player, I liked it so much. Some really nice Celtic music here too. The Freelance Whales are a group I first heard here on Stereogum and I loved their stuff. Their debut CD is supposedly coming out at CD Baby soon - can't wait! And yes, the randomizer put a whale song right after it, honestly! This is from Lou Reed's classic set of cynical songs. And finally, a good one from one of my top CDs of the 80s.
- Katy Blake - Adrienne (Katy Blake 2005)
- Scissor Sisters - Filthy/Gorgeous (Scissor Sisters 2004)
- Goanna - Some Kinda Magic (Oceania)
- Private Lightning - America/Burning Love (Live at the Paradise 1980)
- Voice of the Beehive - I Say Nothing (Let It Bee 1988)
- Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon (Single Version) (Fleetwood Mac 1975)
- The Rolling Creekdrippers - In My Hour Of Darkness (Return of the Grievous Angel: A Tribute to Gram Parsons 1999)
- Pink Floyd - Waiting For The Worms (The Wall (Disc 2) 1979)
- J.J. Cale - Downtown L.A. (Anyway The Wind Blows: The Anthology [Disc 2] 1997)
- The The - This Is The Day (Soul Mining 1983)
Some interesting notes about the sources of a few of these songs. Rhapsody is why I got both Adrienne and the JJ Cale anthology. The former came about as I searched for a song for Adrienne, as we had an obvious song fo Rhiannon. Katy Blake is a folk artist and this is a pretty nice song about her daughter. Tommy James also has an "Adrienne" song. And I kept hearing great stuff on Rhapsody from JJ Cale and is low-key, lo-fi anthology is really solid.
The Goanna CD I bought in a Sydney record store and even AMG's Goanna page doesn't list it. There's a couple great songs on it though.
Private Lightning is a great local group from the early 80s and lots of recordings have been made available finally, including their one release.
Pretty funny that Rhiannon showed up in the Random 10, at the same time as Adrienne! And Soul Mining remains a favorite CD to this day.