Not a whole bunch of media notes, but enough to fill a Media  again, I think:
- D.O.A. on Netflix Instant and liked it a lot. It had a little too much music and there was one strange spot where Frank Bigelow went to SF to "unwind" and he ended up in a hotel with lots of pretty girls and every time he glanced over at one, the music would do a litle wolf whistle, which I found a little jarring. But once the action started, it was interesting and ended perfectly.
- The Hurt Locker on Netflix Bluray. A solid, exciting action flick, with a top notch "you are there" feeling. But that's all - nothing too deep and sometimes even a little predictable. A real testosterone fest, with some excellent explosions, definitely putting my subwoofer to the test. A disappointing Oscar Best Picture winner, but a good view nonetheless. Virtually no extras on the disc at all, save for a commentary track (which I never get to anyway). And shouldn't they be wearing something on their hands?
- Mostly just have time for TV episode watching. I enjoyed season one of Californication, although I find it impossible to believe anyone really talks like that. Finished season five of LOST, which I have enjoyed but find it a little too weird usually. Started to watch the first season of Ally McBeal but am finding it too angsty. I watched pilot episode for free on the computer, via Amazon Video On Demand, but watching a few more episodes on DVD is getting me hinky. Way too much angst. And I watched the first "season" of The Guild and thought it pretty funny. For some reason, I couldn't get the second "season" to play on my PS3 Netflix Instant, but I'll try again tonight.
- Bernie Gunther series, starting with the first one, March Violets. What fun. To balace off that fun, I decided to try a mass market "thriller" by Alan Folsoom. I saw the 3rd book in the series at the library and the back cover sounded interesting enough, so I grabbed the first massive tome, The Exile. I'm on about page 200 of the book and it's just painful. Absolutely no grace in the writing, all the characters emote wildly and the action is one coincidence after another. I'll probably soldier on for a few more chapters but I can't imagine actually finishing it.
- Still listening to The New Pornographer's Together CD. My girls really like it, especially songs 3 - 5 : Your Hands (Together), Silver Jenny Dollar and Sweet Talk, Sweet Talk. It's a little uncomfortable saying their name to them though and I can just see them going to school and saying they love listening to Pornographers at home! And am also really enjoying Jakob Dylan's Women+Country.